Ask Phil: A ColorChecker Passport Question

AskPhilMAC Group’s Phil Bradon, Product Marketing Manager for Sekonic in the United States, will answer selected questions sent to him at AskPhil@Sekonic.com.

John Foster asked the following question:

I have a Sekonic L-758DR and was wondering if the new ColorChecker Passport with grey card will be offered for purchase to existing customers, similar to the one with the L-478.

Hi, John.

The ColorChecker Passport with Sekonic Gray Balance Card was made by X-Rite exclusively for Sekonic L-478-Series meter purchasers who want to use the Passport for profiling their Digital cameras. The special Sekonic Gray Balance Card is necessary to make a reflected light measurement with the L-478 accessory 5-degree viewfinder needed for a full DTS calibration. Sekonic is bundling the special ColorChecker Passport with the Sekonic L-478D/DR meters and making special purchasers available to early purchasers of the L-478D/DR who have proof of purchase and ownership. By agreement, Sekonic’s version of the Passport will not become part of Sekonic’s product line and sold separately. Happily, the 1-degree spot of the L-758DR can easily read the gray patch of the current X-Rite ColorChecker Passport so use of it for calibration is no problem whatsoever. I know this personally, as I have been using my ColorChecker Passport for calibration with my L-758DR since March 2012 when DTS Version 3 was announced.

Best regards,
Phil Bradon

Update March 2014

Hi John,

We are looking to market the special Sekonic ColorChecker Passport separately in the very near future. Look for it at your favorite camera store later this spring.

Best,
Phil

Tags: , , ,
Posted in Ask Phil.

11 Responses to Ask Phil: A ColorChecker Passport Question

1. Carol says:

To calibrate the Sekonic L758 dr can I use the color checker passport instead of the Sekonic Exposure profile target II?

2. Kenneth Shevlin says:

Hi Phil, I came across this post have the similar question as to whether or not I could calibrate my Sekonic L-758DR using my Colorchecker Passprt. I see you answered that one could by using the 1-degree spot of the L-758DR focusing on gray patch of the current X-Rite ColorChecker Passport… my question is … which gray patch? Opening my ColorChecker Passport the first “flap” has at the bottom a series of 8 patches going from black to white with everything in between. The 5th patch right after the last black patch shifts to a gray patch… my question is would this be the patch that I spotmeter from? Hope this question is clear….. thanks for any assistance you might give me. Best!

Kenneth

3. Kuno Vistrup says:

Hi Phil
    Any plans on adding spyderCheckr to make a DTS calibration
    Regards
    Kuno

• Phil says:

Hi Kuno,
      You are not the first to ask this. The Sekonic engineers have been aware of this target and are considering the possibility.
      As upgrades to the DTS software happen infrequently, I cannot offer any time frame for this or that, at the moment, a decision has been made to add the spyderCheckr to the targets. Let’s see what happens.
      Best,
      Phil

4. D. P. says:

Hi Phil,

Please can you help.

I have just bought the Sekonic L-758dr and a ColorChecker Passport, which does not come with the Sekonic 18% gray card You wrote in an answer to a question, on this web page, that the 1-degree spot meter on the L-758DR can read the gray patch of the current X-Rite ColorChecker Passport and can be used to calibrate the meter.
    However do I not need to make both an Incident reading as well as a Spot (Reflective) meter reading with my meter and enter it into the Software? Or shall I enter the Spot reading for both Reflective and Incident?

Many thanks,

D. P.

• Phil says:

DTS was originally created for the L-758 meters. Version 3.0, including the ColorChecker Passport target, was introduced 6 months before the L-478 meters. Proper calibration with the L-758 meters could easily be done with the spot reading of the 20% gray patch, forth to the right, using the spot meter of the 758. Of course, both Incident and Spot readings are used in the calibration procedure as DTS matches the gray point of both the 758 Incident and Spot readings with the gray point of the camera. The fact that this patch is 20% reflectance is reason for the additional gray card page included with the Special version of the CCPP. That is because the L-478 meter’s optional accessory 5-degree viewfinder of has a reading angle that is too wide for the small patches of the CCPP. If you have not already downloaded the instruction manual for DTS, found in the Support area of Sekonic.com, I recommend doing so and referring to page 12 for more information about this. The result of calibration is a meter that delivers proper exposure when the reflected light, spot meter, is viewing an 18% reflectance surface. This is true for both the L-758 and L-478 Series meters.

5. Eric Johnson says:

Hi Phil, does anyone make a stick-in Sekonic grey patch for the CCPT, as even with a 1d angle, you have to be very close to the CCPT to get a reading, and may be blocking the light by doing so.
    Regards Eric

• Phil Bradon says:

Hi Eric,
      The Sekonic Version of the CCPP is specially made by Xrite. There are no parts. The gray card exists because the Sekonic L-478 viewfinder attachment is 5-degree and cannot read the small gray square in the CC which is 20% reflectance which adds to situation. I used the standard CCPP for 758 calibration almost a full year before the 478 and special CCPP. Worked fine for me. Xrite is firm about not getting us a separate gray page.

Comments are closed.